Each year the Columbia Slough Watershed Council hosts dozens of educational paddling events that expose adults and children to the wonders of the Columbia Slough. We're seeking novice to advanced paddlers who would like to volunteer to assist with our Twilight Paddles, Slough School kids' paddles and our summer festivals. Orientation Part 1 will focus on the logistical aspects of this volunteer team. Orientation Part 2 on the following Saturday will include on-water skill building. Volunteers must attend each session.
Scheduling is flexible. Volunteers are expected to commit to 1-2 programs per month over the paddle season (May through August) with the option to continue with Fall programming. Before orientation, volunteers complete a short, informal interview with the Council's Volunteer Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Assist staff members with canoe and kayak-based educational and recreational activities
* Monitor and lead volunteers in the paddling area at events
* Facilitate safe, inclusive on-water activities with kids and adults
* Perform routine maintenance on boats and paddling equipment
* Novice to advanced canoeing and kayaking skills
* Strong communication, teamwork and leadership skills
* Able to work in variable outdoor conditions, sometimes cold and/or rainy and dark
* Able to take direction and initiative, provide leadership when needed
* Comfortable working with children and adults
* Able to lift 30 pounds overhead
Please send a brief letter of interest to Hanna Davis at Hanna.Davis@columbiaslough.org describing your experience and interest or call (503) 281-1132 to schedule a time to speak over the phone.