Each year the Columbia Slough Watershed Council hosts dozens of educational paddling events that expose adults and children to the wonders of the Columbia Slough. We're seeking novice to advanced paddlers who would like to volunteer to assist with our Twilight Paddles, Slough School kids' paddles and our summer festivals. Volunteer!
Time commitment: Scheduling is flexible. Volunteers are expected to commit to 1-2 programs per month over the paddle season (May through August) with the option to continue with Fall programming. Before serving, volunteers attend a two orientation sessions. Before orientation, volunteers complete a short, informal interview with the Council's Volunteer Coordinator.
Orientation Session 1: Thursday, April 7th, 2016, 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Orientation Session 2: Saturday, April 16th, 2016, 9:00am - 1:00pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Assist staff members with canoe and kayak-based educational and recreational activities
* Monitor and lead volunteers in the paddling area at events
* Facilitate safe, inclusive on-water activities with kids and adults
* Perform routine maintenance on boats and paddling equipment
* Novice to advanced canoeing and kayaking skills
* Strong communication, teamwork and leadership skills
* Able to work in variable outdoor conditions, sometimes cold and/or rainy and dark
* Able to take direction and initiative, provide leadership when needed
* Able to lift 30 pounds overhead
* Interest in local flora, fauna and water quality issues
* Affinity for sharing natural history of the Slough and the watershed
* Familiarity with N and NE Portland waterways
* First aid and CPR certified
Interested? Send a brief letter of intent (1-2 paragraphs) about why you're interested in this position to Volunteer Coordinator Hanna Davis at email@example.com or send your letter to 7040 NE 47th Ave, Portland, OR 97218. Include your name, address, email address and phone number.